Can't see screen after updating to CUPS Jessie

Can't see screen after updating to CUPS Jessie

Postby DarkMatter » 12 Jan 2015, 13:54

Hi Guys! Happy New Year!
I was happily using my amazing Point Linux 2.3.1 (Wheezy) and I needed to add a the HP LaserJet P1100w at the office to try it out.
Well, it appears the python-cups needed to be updated to use this printer. Soooooo, I went into Synaptics and did the update.
However, the latest python-cups needed the latest CUPS which meant using the version in Jessie so I updated Synaptic to use the Debian Jessie sources.
Anyhow, after about 300 MB of updates, I restarted and all I can see is a dark screen with 3 little tiny squares. LOL!

I can get to the command prompt but I don't know what to do.
I'm so annoyed for adding the Jessie sources just so I can get the latest CUPS for that stupid laser printer. :%)
Can ANYONE suggest how I can get back home?? :unknown:
I really want my desktop back. What do I need to do at the GRUB menu (2nd option) where I can log in as root in the text screen??
Oh well, I have learnt my lesson.

If I have to reinstall, no biggie. What's the simplest method? I already have my hard drive partitioned as: /home, /boot, /, and something else, I forget! Oh, it's the /swap partition!

Thanks guys!!

Point Linux rocks!!
DarkMatter

Re: Can't see screen after updating to CUPS Jessie

Postby Maroman » 12 Jan 2015, 14:34

hi. experimenting is good way to learn.

there are at least to solutions. the first and trivial one is to reinstall whole the system. the second one - downgrading. I do not know if it works in your case but you can tray to define new pinning (at the moment there is one file (/etc/apt/preferences.d/50pointlinux) for defining repository order preferences. there is the present pinning (in my case, I have neither testing nor backports repositories)
Code: Select all
Package: *
Pin: release n=wheezy
Pin-Priority: 900

Pin: release n=taya
Pin-Priority: 990

I understand your screen is black so you can use terminal. try another console with ctrl+alt+f1 key. you have both stable and testing repositories (at least). the main goal is to go back to stable. firstly be a root (use sudo su, sudo -s or sudo -i commands). you can use nano to (create and) edit preference file
nano /etc/apt/preferences.d/50pointlinux

and
Pin: release n=wheezy
Pin-Priority: 900

Pin: release n=taya
Pin-Priority: 990

Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 50

ctrl+o, enter, ctrl+x. you have new pinning. taya has the highest priority, testing - the lowest. next
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

to just see the changes you can use option -s at the end.

reboot or shutdown -h now end the process.

hope it helps. cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Return to Installation Support