can't open, hear music, see videos on/from SMB share

can't open, hear music, see videos on/from SMB share

Postby Lindemann » 27 Aug 2013, 00:10

Hi @all,

all is fine, but ...

i can not see any videos or hear any music, independent of file type (mp3/flac/wav/avi/...) on/from a network SMB share on an other Linux. None of these file type i could play on Point Linux.

The SMB Share is on an linux 2.4.26-1, but this machine, his shares/samba version is *not* the problem. Why? I installed on the client, the machine with Point LInux also Mageia, Fedora and Suse, all of them could play sound and video flies. Also an older version of Mint Katya has no problems playing multimedia files on a network share.

VLC Player nor Amarok will play this files on point linux. Amarok, vlc, mplayer on the other linuces could play this files at all. Why can't point linux play/open them on a network share, does not matter on a share by XP or Linux? Also it does not matter, if the file name has spaces. Point linux will not play any multimedia flies on/from a network share.

Do anybody has an idea, what is missing? Where, what the problem is and *how the solve it*?

BTW it is possible to open other file types, like zip/pdf/txt and so on, only sound/video files point linux will not play on/from the network share. But if i am going to copy the sound file to the clients harddisk (where point-linux is installed), point linux plays it without any problem.

Pls. hlp.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Lindemann
Lindemann

Re: can't open, hear music, see videos on/from SMB share

Postby Pry » 28 Aug 2013, 09:35

Good day, Lindemann!

Well, first of all which version have you installed, Full or Core? I ask that because the Core version has no multimedia (neither VLC or any other player nor codecs) installed out of the box.
Your situation is really puzzling as Point Linux Full has perfect multimedia support and it does the job for me and, I believe, many other users.

All I can recommend you so far is to boot Point Linux 13.04.1 Full (!) LiveDVD (or USB if you write it there via the USB Startup Disk Creator) and try opening the multimedia files.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Lindemann » 28 Aug 2013, 14:25

Hello Pry,

Pry wrote:Good day, Lindemann!

Well, first of all which version have you installed, Full or Core? I ask that because the Core version has no multimedia (neither VLC or any other player nor codecs) installed out of the box.
Your situation is really puzzling as Point Linux Full has perfect multimedia support and it does the job for me and, I believe, many other users.

All I can recommend you so far is to boot Point Linux 13.04.1 Full (!) LiveDVD (or USB if you write it there via the USB Startup Disk Creator) and try opening the multimedia files.

i think, it must be full version, cause VLC was onboard. You are right, it has, knows many of mm-files, plays them, but only, if these files are on the local harddisk. No way to play/open files on a network share. Could you play, could you pls. test this for me, playing, opening mm-files on a network share?

Thanks in advance.
Lindemann
Lindemann

Postby Pry » 28 Aug 2013, 15:23

As I said it works (plays) perfectly for me. I have a samba file Server and I often open multimedia files on it. The ability to play multimedia network files was a cornerstone so I can assure you it works fine out of box. On the Screenshots page there is an image showing VLC playing a video file from a Samba network share (look at the VLC title). I repeat:
Pry wrote:All I can recommend you so far is to boot Point Linux 13.04.1 Full (!) LiveDVD (or USB if you write it there via the USB Startup Disk Creator) and try opening the multimedia files.

Do you get any errors or something?
Another thing I can recommend is to see the Samba logs on server.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Lindemann » 29 Aug 2013, 23:59

Hello Pry,

it is strange. I mounted the music share on the remote linux box through nfs, it works as designed. ;-) Fine. Also i put the logging of samba from 0 to 2, to see what is happening, while accessing the files, as you mentioned.

Then i could see errors, when opening files on the music-share (SMB) like this
if NT4.x compatible we would close all old resources

and if i am opening files on my /home-dir on the other linux-box, although the file belongs to me and has explicitly 777
guest user (from session setup) not permitted to access this share (usr)

*But* opening an other file, not an mm-file, pdf brought this:
usr closed file 2k_07_2013.pdf (numopen=0) NT_STATUS_OK

Why that? Both are in my /home on the other box, pdf has restricted rights only for me (rw), there it works, i could open pdf.

######
The *difference* is, point linux wants to open mm-files as *guest user* an gets as designed and wanted no access rights to the file, the other files point linux opens them with the right user ID (usr) and it works, as designed and configured on the other box.
###### => There we have it. :-) But how to solve this strange behaviour?

As i wrote in the first posting, no probs with other distri. i did not check, how they opens mm-files, but i do not have these problems, therefore i think, they use the right user-id.

Why point linux changes the user id, while accessing mm-files on a network share? Any idea? Any idea for an workaround?

I think not, that is a user mapping problem on the other box; if so, none of the other files i could access and also no probs with other distri.

Thanks.
Lindemann

PS: As i see now, another strange behaviour: Opening mm-files on XP-SP3 by clicking them in/on the linux explorer, vlc will not play them, same error as on the other linux. But opening these files with banshee, yeppp. It works. Amarok will also not plays them, Error ... something with smb:// .... s. above and jumps to next title. Strange. :-( Probably not solvable in a short term doing?
Lindemann

Postby Pry » 30 Aug 2013, 04:40

Lindemann!

Well, first of all Point Linux uses Debian samba* packages without any modifications. What I see is that you have small experience in Samba configuration.
Samba doesn't make difference between mm and non-mm files, it just sends and recieves files. Check permissions on the mm files and folders.
777 is generally a bad habbit everywhere.
I can't believe your samba config on server works with other distros and fails to work with Debian samba. Samba is about the same for all distros.
Samba always authenticates as guest by default if it can't authenticate as a user and if it is allowed.
If you want to access the files as guest they should be nobody:nogroup coupled with 'guest ok = yes' in your config, or alternatively you can use 'force user = your_home_dir_user', but the first method is preferable.
Point Linux (Debian) doesn't change user id. Again check your permissions on files.

Have you booted the LiveCD as I asked you?
Please post your samba config file on server. Do you have samba server installed on the Point Linux box? Post it also if so.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Lindemann » 30 Aug 2013, 15:02

Hi,

Pry wrote:Lindemann!

Well, first of all Point Linux uses Debian samba* packages without any modifications. What I see is that you have small experience in Samba configuration.

Maybe, but i do not want to struggle with smb.conf. I did not struggle on the other distri. It has to function out of the box, like it works the last ten years. I think, i will loose going in detail-config, it is not a big think, to get access for *my* own files, i am not discussing any special, difficult grp-conditions an so on, it is my user with exact the same password. That should be enough(?).

Samba doesn't make difference between mm and non-mm files, it just sends and recieves files. Check permissions on the mm files and folders.
777 is generally a bad habbit everywhere.

You are right, therefore all my files have 600 ;-) (only me), but this one i give it, solely this mm-file 777 to see, if it is a rights problem.

I can't believe your samba config on server works with other distros and fails to work with Debian samba. Samba is about the same for all distros.

Sorry, but you are wrong. ;-), as you told, about the same, but not exact the same. I booted all the other distri to check, to check if i have a general error, problem on the other linux box, but i do not, it works with the other, without any change to his smb.conf.
I have this problem with XP too. OK, if i had mistake on linux/SMB-config, this could explain my problem. But on XP, what should i configure there, nothing, only my password (always the same on the boxes).

You should believe me, until now, no problems accessing files (wheter mm or other kind of files) from linux-linux, linux-XP, Xp-linux.

It is pitty, that *my* point linux has this problem.

Samba always authenticates as guest by default if it can't authenticate as a user and if it is allowed.

As you see on the logs, i habe two users coming in, accessing the smb-linux box from point linux, dir/user all is same, only file-type differs.

If you want to access the files as guest they should be nobody:nogroup coupled with 'guest ok = yes' in your config, or alternatively you can use 'force user = your_home_dir_user', but the first method is preferable.
Point Linux (Debian) doesn't change user id. Again check your permissions on files.

No way jose. ;-) I do not want any guests an my files and - once again- the other distri has no probs. I do not know why. But i did not check the logs, when accessing my files with one of the other distri. I will do it and post the results here too.

Have you booted the LiveCD as I asked you?
Please post your samba config file on server. Do you have samba server installed on the Point Linux box? Post it also if so.

I think it is not the old linux box, cause of other distri, yes, i installed samba (v3) on point linux.

I will check the logs as a am going to access my files.
And i have to boot the new point linux. I will try deb 7.x, ok, some probs with mp3, but a wav-file should be enough to check the access.

Thanks for your help and advices.
Lindemann
Lindemann

Postby jordan » 30 Aug 2013, 17:17

To play using VLC, try going into VLC preferences > show all > input/codecs > access modules > smb and enter your smb browsing credentials (smb user/password)
jordan

Return to Software and Applications