update-manager does not open

update-manager does not open

Postby samson40 » 18 Nov 2013, 16:59

Hello fellow users

I am impressed with pointlinux and have found a remedy for all minor problems so far but not this one.

If a developer is reading this, can you explain how to run Update Manager as root?

So far I have unable to open the application from the Desktop panel icon. The notification of updates appears but I cannot log in to update my system :o

I do not use "sudo" linked to my username and I perform administration tasks as root.

I can update my system on the command line as root with:

# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

and I can also update my system on the command line as root with:

# /usr/bin/update-manager

which then opens with Error messages.

However I would like to be able to use the graphical Update Manager. The application is there to be used.
This notifies the user of updates and when updates are available, puts an icon in the panel.

This graphical Update Manager front-end appears to be the Ubuntu variation and is update-manager-gnome 0.200.5-2.1.
Somewhere there must be a configuration file that I can edit and link my root password to it.

Thank you in advance for any help in using this application.
samson40

Re: update-manager does not open

Postby Maroman » 18 Nov 2013, 17:15

try menu > system > administration > update manager.
from terminal rather
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Moreover there is synaptic (menu > system > administration > synaptic ..). Reload > Mark > Apply. all work fine.

cheers, M
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 18 Nov 2013, 17:22

samson40,

update manager works fine out of the box.
so you've set password for root I presume?

What password (root or user) do you type in when you start update manager from panel menu?
Does the 'sudo su' and then 'update-manager' works if you run it from terminal?
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby samson40 » 18 Nov 2013, 17:41

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I have no problem updating my system from the command line but I cannot use Update Manager because it does not accept my root password.

I cannot use the command "su" because it is no longer available - I removed it from the user's group.

I would like to use the program Update Manager because it a good application waiting to be used.

Clicking the panel icon for Update Manager, I use the root password and it is not recognised.

Clicking the panel icon for Update Manager, of course I tried the user password too but this is not recognised because now the user does not have sudo rights.

From a terminal, I type:

# su

(and give root password. Then I type:)

# /usr/bin/update-manager

and the Update Manager opens after giving warning messages re:

CRITICAL:UpdateManager.Frontend.Gtk.ui] Could not save the configuration to gconf: No D-BUS daemon running

Although I have not used Update Manager opened this way to update my system (because currently there are no available updates), I have checked for updates and Update Manager appears to work fine when opened from the terminal this way.

The bug is that I cannot open Update Manager from the panel icon, as my password(s) are not recognised.

Thanks for reading this, Peter.
samson40

Postby samson40 » 18 Nov 2013, 17:44

Sorry, I meant that I cannot use the command "sudo" because I removed it from the user group. Of course I can use "su" and I have set my own root password.
samson40

Return to Software and Applications