Other Desktops?

Other Desktops?

Postby intelarmamd » 09 Jan 2014, 16:19

hi,

Is it possible to install other desktops in Point Linux besides Mate, for example Xfce or Gnome 3? :)
intelarmamd

Re: Other Desktops?

Postby Pry » 09 Jan 2014, 16:38

Hello, intelarmamd, and welcome to the forums!

Gnome 3 is currently incompatible with MATE, so the MATE and Gnome3 coexistence is impossible. This is the reason why MATE devs work hard to migrate the project to gsettings to maintain compatibility.

XFCE currently conflicts with Point Linux installation as it conflicts with desktop-base package. KDE and LXDE should coexist fine with Point Linux.

In your case I think it is easier to install a raw Debian and then try to install multiple DEs. But frankly speaking I don't think it's a great idea...
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby intelarmamd » 09 Jan 2014, 17:07

Pry wrote:Hello, intelarmamd, and welcome to the forums!

Gnome 3 is currently incompatible with MATE, so the MATE and Gnome3 coexistence is impossible. This is the reason why MATE devs work hard to migrate the project to gsettings to maintain compatibility.

XFCE currently conflicts with Point Linux installation as it conflicts with desktop-base package. KDE and LXDE should coexist fine with Point Linux.

In your case I think it is easier to install a raw Debian and then try to install multiple DEs. But frankly speaking I don't think it's a great idea...

Ok. So KDE and LXDE are compatible with Point Linux. What about Cinnamon 2.0 which is no more dependent on Gnome and now is a stand alone DE? I know that its not stable enough for now and it would take time to become reasonably stable but just curious to know. Anyway Mate is perfectly fine with me. Also I wish to know if its possible to install other DEs applications without installing the complete DEs in Point Linux. For example the KDE applications? :)
intelarmamd

Postby Pry » 09 Jan 2014, 17:40

intelarmamd wrote:What about Cinnamon 2.0 which is no more dependent on Gnome and now is a stand alone DE?

Sorry, who told you that? As far as I know Cinnamon is GTK based (as well as XFCE and LXDE and MATE of course), yet Cinnamon was a Gnome 3 DE with extensions, and I don't think much changed since that. Most DEs are based on either GTK (Gnome) or Qt (KDE) frameworks.
intelarmamd wrote:Also I wish to know if its possible to install other DEs applications without installing the complete DEs in Point Linux. For example the KDE applications? :)

Well, there should be no problems with KDE apps in general (VLC that is a standard media player in Point Linux is a Qt app for instance). Let's make it clear, do you want to run a whole DE or apps only? Because even if you currently can't install XFCE as a second DE in Point Linux, you can install and run XFCE apps like Thunar hands down. There are native GTK3 (Gnome 3) apps like Remmina or Transmission that are included in Point Linux Full. There can be dependency problems with apps like cheese for instance, but generally speaking Gnome 3 apps run fine in MATE and Point Linux.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby intelarmamd » 09 Jan 2014, 18:13

Pry wrote:Sorry, who told you that? As far as I know Cinnamon is GTK based (as well as XFCE and LXDE and MATE of course), yet Cinnamon was a Gnome 3 DE with extensions, and I don't think much changed since that. Most DEs are based on either GTK (Gnome) or Qt (KDE) frameworks.

Well, there should be no problems with KDE apps in general (VLC that is a standard media player in Point Linux is a Qt app for instance). Let's make it clear, do you want to run a whole DE or apps only? Because even if you currently can't install XFCE as a second DE in Point Linux, you can install and run XFCE apps like Thunar hands down. There are native GTK3 (Gnome 3) apps like Remmina or Transmission that are included in Point Linux Full. There can be dependency problems with apps like cheese for instance, but generally speaking Gnome 3 apps run fine in MATE and Point Linux.

I am very content with Mate. I would like to run other DEs apps in Mate. I am very impressed with your distro after reading its reviews and currently its the only worthy option for people who wish to use a distro based on Debian stable. I hope you would always keep your Debian stable based versions available for people even if your next versions are based on Debian testing. Also I hope that in future Point Linux would come with other DE versions too like Cinnamon and Xfce. Long live Point Linux! :good:
intelarmamd

Postby Pry » 10 Jan 2014, 02:03

Thank you, intelarmamd!

The reason why there are no editions with other DEs so far is simple: I have no resources for that. It is impossible to have a decent QC for multiple DEs if the project is driven by one person. So I decided to prefer quality over quantity, but I'm looking forward to release Point Linux with other DEs as well of course. :twisted:
Pry
Site Admin

Postby intelarmamd » 10 Jan 2014, 08:50

Pry wrote:Thank you, intelarmamd!

The reason why there are no editions with other DEs so far is simple: I have no resources for that. It is impossible to have a decent QC for multiple DEs if the project is driven by one person. So I decided to prefer quality over quantity, but I'm looking forward to release Point Linux with other DEs as well of course. :twisted:

Its very nice to know that you are looking forward to release Point Linux with other DEs. I would have joined you in your efforts if I had the required skills. But I would certainly make donation to the project as soon as possible. Anyway I like your policy of "quality over quantity". Its better to release solid and stable versions of the OSes even if it takes time than to release buggy and unstable OSes in hurry. But when you release the OS with other DEs kindly don't forget to release the Debian stable based versions of the other DEs along with the versions based on Debian testing as it seems the way Point Linux is heading and its a good decision of yours. :)
intelarmamd

Postby kc1di » 10 Jan 2014, 10:57

Hi Pry,
I'm also very happy you've chosen quality over many DE's . I think it's better to do one thing very well then try to satisfy many demands and end upon doing nothing well. Thank you for all your efforts , they are appreciated.
:)
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di

Postby zebedeeboss » 11 Jan 2014, 11:22

Hi All

I am very happy the way the current desktop is. KDE is too heavy and I don't really like xfce.

Stick with what works - especially when it works so well.

Zeb...
Be Nice or Be Some Where Else
========================
6Gb Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz Nvidia GT640 2Gb
Linux i5-linuxpoint 3.11-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.11.10-1 (2013-12-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux
zebedeeboss

Postby intelarmamd » 13 Jan 2014, 13:53

hi Pry,

I think its better if you stick with Mate desktop for the time being. I agree with the two fellow forum members advice. Its better to work with one DE and release a proper stable OS than many DEs but buggy and unstable OS. But as time passes and you get a better foothold in the Linux community and have good resources, then would be the best time to enter into other DEs as you wish to do this. But I would request you one thing; kindly never abandon Point Linux Debian stable based versions in favour of Point Linux Debian testing based versions. :)
intelarmamd

Next

Return to Software and Applications