Other Desktops?

Re: Other Desktops?

Postby HolyDiver » 13 Jan 2014, 20:46

Hi Pry,
I agree with you. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Point doesn't need another DE. Personally I prefer MATE to other DEs and also I can say I prefer Point Linux 2.2 to other distros with MATE at this time. Your Point Linux is high-quality distribution. Well done. :good:
HolyDiver

Postby Maroman » 14 Jan 2014, 13:39

imho Debian plus mate is ideal choice. Point is so concise. I'm very fond of minimal but functional distributions. comparing sizes of Debian with different desktops, there is all needed in less than 1GB. I can't believe seeing distro in 3GB. horrible.

but talking about development and newer versions of Point (PL 3 for example) I would rather see testing plus cinnamon as more natural than still mate. old scool (stable + gtk2) and newcomer (testing + gtk3). there is a kind of logic. moreover cinnamon is more functional and I hope less buggy.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby adamtaylor » 16 Jul 2014, 23:52

Firstly: Thank you so much for creating Point Linux. I thought the Linux desktop had peaked with Ubuntu 10.04, but you've given me new hope! It really is great to see someone shipping a Debian-based distro that defaults to using Mate, which I'm hoping will eventually kill off the Gnome 3 Shell and Unity madness. (Can't hurt to hope.) And you've really done a nice job making Mate look great and work well right out of the box. Even better than the mostly-excellent Linux Mint Mate.

It's also nice that it's based on Debian, and not on Red Hat or Ubuntu, since Red Hat (the company) and Canonical have seemingly decided to pursue mutually incompatible technologies in a lot of areas, and presumably Debian will be able to pick and choose the best technologies going forward.

Secondly: I realize that I don't really deserve a vote, having done zero work on Point Linux, but I am -1 on additional DEs.

One of the things that attracted me to Point Linux is that it seemed like a project with a clear direction and focus: a stable desktop distro that works for people that have work to do. I guess I don't really see the point of adding a bunch of additional DEs. You're already using the best Linux DE (!), why not focus on that?

If someone wants to use a different DE, let them use regular Debian. Or some other distro that defaults to their favorite DE out of the box.

Adam
adamtaylor

Postby nekomajin » 19 Jul 2014, 13:19

:good:
Have a good time with Point Linux.
nekomajin

Previous

Return to Software and Applications