SDR for Point LInux.

SDR for Point LInux.

Postby TNFrank » 30 Jan 2014, 02:29

I ordered an SDR "Kit" from Hak5 to play around with after watching the show today. Basically it's this:
http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/software-defined-radio-holiday-promotion
Could have gotten basically the same stuff minus the case and cool Hak5 sticker for $10 plus shipping off of Amazon but shipping was 17 to 24 days and I didn't want to wait that long.
Anyway, I've loaded GNU Radio from Synaptic Package Manager(basically every package that came up with the GNU Radio search) and can't wait to get this SDR Kit to play around with. Hope everything works out ok, I'd love to tune in on some stuff.
So does anyone else play around with SDR?
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Re: SDR for Point LInux.

Postby TNFrank » 30 Jan 2014, 21:06

I managed to get Quisk, CuteSDR and qthid/qthid 2.2 installed along with GNU Radio and something called GRC under "Applications/Programming".
I was getting a lot of strange noises with Quisk but then again I don't have my SDR Dongle or antenna yet so I'm not really sure what I'm picking up. Too bad I couldn't use this to get a signal without the dongle or antenna somehow. I'd really love to start messing around with it to see what kind of RF signals I can pick up. Oh well, don't be shy, ya'll chime in if you have any info or if you're going to start playing around with SDR. Seems like a fun thing to do.
TNFrank

Postby TNFrank » 31 Jan 2014, 20:27

Ok, uninstalled qthid/qthid 2.2 installed along with GNU Radio since it looks like CuteSDR and Quisk will be enough to get things going. I'll probably need to download some Drivers for the USB dongle. I'm just surprised that more of ya'll aren't saying anything about this. Seems like this would be an awesome way to scan the RF Airwaves to see what's out there. Bet you could hear Aircraft, Military stuff, Law Enforcement and who knows what else. Someone even said you can tune into the International Space Station if you have the right antenna, now that's cool right there. :beer:
TNFrank

Postby TNFrank » 03 Feb 2014, 04:33

Well, I got my SDR working. Had to install Kali Linux 1.0.6 to get it to work since it has SDR stuff pre-installed. It's a Debian based OS, same as Point Linux. Can't see any reason why we can't have SDR stuff like Gqrx preinstalled on Point but that's just the way it is I guess.
TNFrank

Return to Software and Applications