problems with Microsoft office. [IDEAS?]?

problems with Microsoft office. [IDEAS?]?

Postby welshman25 » 07 Feb 2014, 20:52

hey everyone! so i installed Microsoft office 2010 through "playonlinux" and word and excel are working alright except outlook (which hangs at verifying my account) and onenote (which adds a desktop launcher which after i close the launcher it still has a process running but i'm not seeing it when i check the processes on the CPU). any help/ideas?
welshman25

Re: problems with Microsoft office. [IDEAS?]?

Postby TNFrank » 10 Feb 2014, 01:18

Why run a crappy MicroSoft product when there are so many great open source options to be had. LibreOffice totally rocks and for mail you can use Thundbird and keep your open source goodness with your Point Linux install. :D
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby welshman25 » 10 Feb 2014, 22:00

Well i do, and i don't mind libre office, but i use Microsoft office at work and am getting trained to use various parts in it. i understand that libre and open office can do many of the same things including kingsoft office. but for the sake of the UI i would really like MS office to work. unless there is a plugin or extension for the freeware to have a similar UI then yes i'll use it.
welshman25

Postby GB Jim » 12 Feb 2014, 15:28

I understand that if used at work Open source documents and spreadsheets can change the formatting of Office documents and spreadsheets at times. I also understand wanting to get more familiar with how the programs function. I am not sure how important one notes and outlook are though. I have to use Office at work, and find Outlook pretty easy, and could care less about one notes. How important are those two programs to your overall goals?
GB Jim

Postby welshman25 » 13 Feb 2014, 15:22

Well everyday i use the standard Home and Student version of office and with it i use Onenote for all my notes at school. being able to have those notes is a big deal for me because of the versatile way i can access them online from anywhere, but, having the actual program is necessary for me to use all of it's features. as far as Outlook goes, i use it at work everyday and, i too, like how nice and easy it is. so it would be nice to get it working right. however i don't mind using Libre office or Kingsoft office though. i'd say i've become a bigger Linux fan since the release of point Linux. i used to run Ubuntu but since it's unity release it's been slowing down my system ever since.
welshman25

Postby nosheep » 29 Aug 2014, 14:12

Try with CrossOver by CodeWeavers: http://www.codeweavers.com
If work, buy it to support the project! :)
nosheep

Return to Software and Applications