outdated plugin Adobe Flash

outdated plugin Adobe Flash

Postby Sunshine » 25 Dec 2014, 19:55

On many websites I am getting the message: "Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin "Adobe Flash" from running". I can still do the things I want by telling Firefox to "allow", but I would feel more comfortable updating the plugin. Will an update for that be coming soon, or is there something I'm supposed to do on my own?
Sunshine

Re: outdated plugin Adobe Flash

Postby Maroman » 26 Dec 2014, 07:12

Sunshine wrote:On many websites I am getting the message: "Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin "Adobe Flash" from running".
must say I haven't seen the message. but anyhow outdated flash might be the problem. generally adobe has stopped flash development for Linux (ver. 11) except the one designed for chrome. pls read the article. small flashplugin-nonfree (installed in the system) takes the latest flashplayer from adobe site. and the last version is 11.2.202 versus 16.0.0 for windows.
the problem can be solved by installing different browser, namely either chrome or chromium with peppermint flash plugin. the last one is adobe flash prepared for chrome (flash plugin is a part of the prowser and there is no need to install it. google takes care of the newest one).
I used both options -chrome and chromium and think the first one is more ergonomic. there is info at Point Linux wiki how to install chrome but you can install it directly. just download and run GDebi (it finds all dependences). during installation chrome repository is added (I can't remember if gpg key is added automatically).
using chrome means you have always the newest browser and flash. for your privacy it's recommended to change search engine. in every search question google has some codded (in form of so called rlz strings) information. I'm using ixquick/startpage as a default search engine (in every of my browsers).
as you can see there is no one browser for everything. use the both - ff and chrome if needed.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Bill » 27 Dec 2014, 23:32

This worked for me.Hope it's ok with the folks at Adobe.

Go to Adobe's website and dowload the latest tar .gz .

to your desktop or wherever you download to .

Right click on the file and choose "extract here".

Open this folder and find the file ....libflashplayer.so ....

Copy it .

Go to your home folder .Look at the top left of your screen .... File Edit View .

Click on "View" then scroll down to where it says "show hidden files" ....

Tick the box to show hidden files .

You will then see a folder named .mozilla ........ open it ....

Click on firefox folder ...then click on folder which has .default at the end .

In that folder there's another folder named "plugins" .

If there's no folder named plugins .... make one by

right clicking and selecting "new folder" .

Once you've made that folder .... open it and paste libflashplayer.so .

Hope it works for you .

(Quick guide : Get latest flash tar , extract libflashplayer.so .

Paste into home ~~~.mozilla . plugins ........ Done)

Bill
Bill

Postby Sunshine » 27 Dec 2014, 23:55

You guys are excellent! I installed Chrome and found that I really like it. Then I used Bill's instructions to fix Firefox and now I have two working browsers. Thanks so much!!
Sunshine

Postby Maroman » 24 May 2015, 16:52

I have found two different methods to install the newest Linix flashplayer plugin. the first one is analogous to Bill's method but libflashplayer.so is moved/copied (as a root) to /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so.
on the other hand flashplugin-nonfree can be reinstalled (as a matter of fact the apps does exactly the same - downloads the latest flashplugin and installs it) to get the newst one.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Maroman » 18 Oct 2015, 13:45

there are distros with flashplayer in their repositories. the debian way of installing flashplayer is neither nice nor elegant. user has no control on flashplayer version installed in the system and its status as the old or new one. what about changing this? look at salix, vector linux or even semplice. it's important to have up-to-date plugin. and not important to have its the newest downloader.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Return to Software and Applications