Dual boot problem

Dual boot problem

Postby GB Jim » 12 Jul 2015, 20:31

I installed Point 3.0 on an older tower I also have ZorinOS installed on. I want Zorin to boot first for my wife to use it. I have tried both startup manager on Point and then grub customizer on Zorin, and Point still boots first no matter that I have Zorin as the first boot. Anyone have an idea why this would happen? Could it anything to do with UEFI boot? The grub entires look a bit different than usual.

Otherwise I like Point 3.0. I appreciate the core version, as I don't use a lot of installed hardware on the full featured version, and have my own favorite Linux software. Next weekend I will start installing Point 3.0 on my laptop.
GB Jim

Re: Dual boot problem

Postby Maroman » 12 Jul 2015, 21:30

hi Jim. installing Point you probable installed its grub and destroyed the grup part of Zorin. when you switch on your computer always Point's grub starts. at the moment there is no use to start any grub customizer from Zorin. it works but there is no effect.
as I understand you want Zorin to be your deafault system (start first). there are two solutions. either reinstall grub in Zorin with dpkg-reconfigure command or change the order of booting in grub config of Point's grub. I have no experience with uefi firmware so I'm not sure what grub you have. in my case (I have bios and then grub-pc) the command is
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

for first solution. for the next one go to /etc/default/grub and find the line GRUB_DEFAULT=0. systems are counted from zero. change the number to appropriate number (1 or 2, depends on GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY setting). and of course use sudo update-grub command.
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby GB Jim » 12 Jul 2015, 22:39

Thanks Maroman. I had Point Linux 2.3.2 on this computer which I installed Point 3.0 over. I have never ran into this problem before, and usually dual boot, either two Linux OS's or one Linux and Win7. I will give your solutions a try.
GB Jim

Postby Maroman » 17 Jul 2015, 05:51

Jim, I gave solution in above post. no matter how many distros you have you use only one grub. you decide (personally I prefare grub version 2 over 1.99). and always if you change starting configuration for any distro you should go to the distro with grub (of your choice) installed and run sudo update-grub command.

now you have grub from your last distro installation (any grub installation overwrites starting address in disc first sectors). the start order can be change by changing the number in grub GRUB_DEFAULT command. you can also use last run properties of grub. if you want to read more look either grub manual from its site or look here http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

of course for changing configuration you can use gui like grub customizer (for grub used as a starting application) but as a matter of fact it is completely not needed.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Re: Solved - Dual boot problem

Postby GB Jim » 18 Jul 2015, 21:15

Solved.
Thanks Maroman. I went with the re-install option. I did look at the edit /etc/default/grub and find the line GRUB_DEFAULT=0 option also, and that also looks rather easy. Zorin now boot first. Your help is always appreciated.
GB Jim

Return to Software and Applications