What Debian release should the next Point Linux be based?

Wheezy or Jessie?

Poll ended at 25 Oct 2013, 17:33

Wheezy
83%
Jessie
17%

Total votes : 12

Re: What Debian release should the next Point Linux be based

Postby clhp » 04 Jan 2014, 17:16

Jessie was the choice.
I feel that was correct because
1. Creating Jessie was done by cloning Wheezy so you have Wheezy.
2. Jessie will get security updates.
3. I want to help move the Debian world forward.

By doing this, the Point Linux team is able to upgrade PL while concentrating most of their efforts on the user experience.

Stick with 2.2 until you find a compelling reason to change. Just as I stuck with my last linux distro for over 2 years with no upgrades.
clhp

Postby tompravi » 15 Jan 2014, 17:28

I hope PointLinux will keep the Debian stability.
As long as I've worked with LinuxMint Debian I was almost satisfied.
Debian is my favor distro. But for a long time now I use PointLinux at home and I'm very satisfied.
My best wished to your efforts.
tompravi

Postby hottyson » 01 Feb 2014, 04:59

I vote stable.
If I wanted something not stable, I would not be here.
hottyson

Postby Az4x4 » 21 Feb 2014, 18:39

For those who want a stable system above all else, Wheezy is the way to go. For those who want to be a bit more with the times and experience all that Debian offers in Testing, then Jessie is the right choice.

Personally I like the rock solid stability that Wheezy offers on my main machine, an i7 ASUS laptop that uses my 60" HD plasma TV as a monitor. Just want it to work and continue working without glitches, and Wheezy in the form of PL 2.2 does just that.

However on my other laptops, those I take places with me, I prefer to run Debian testing. So far that's meant that I install Linux Mint Debian Edition on them instead of Point Linux. LMDE has been remarkably stable, equal, at least from my point of view, with PL 2.2 in that regard.

One thing Linux Mint does with their Debian Edition is to test and vet the updates that Debian provides for its Testing release, then offer them to LMDE users as update 'packages' once they're determined to be free of deal breaker issues. Of course you can set up the repositories you point your own system to to bypass this safeguard, but these fully tested update 'packages' have worked well for me, so I doubt I'll change anything in that regard.

If Point Linux offered something similar, a release based on the latest Debian Testing so that keeping the installed system current was simply a matter of installing tested update 'packages' instead of having to completely reinstall the OS every once in a while, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat!

Linux Mint is a well established distro, and time and resources are the real issue in such matters. We as Point Linux users need to support Peter's efforts in our behalf, so that in time things like this become reality with Point Linux just as they are with other distros.
How to become a Super User: Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape ... or boot to root, your choice!
Az4x4

Postby mitchbw » 04 Mar 2014, 22:57

I vote for Wheezy

Stability > New and flashy
mitchbw

Postby drum » 04 Mar 2014, 23:05

Jessie is also stable imo, a run on my netbook vsido based on debian 'sid' for a year now and never had any problems, so i think that Jessie is a good choice
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Previous

Return to Announcements