Debian 8 Jessie and systemd

Debian 8 Jessie and systemd

Postby GB Jim » 02 May 2015, 11:22

Here is a link to an article on Debian 8 Jessie and systemd. I know many already have an opinion on systemd, but if like me you don't really understand the controversy this is as good an explanation as I have read to date.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... ince-1993/
GB Jim

Re: Debian 8 Jessie and systemd

Postby Maroman » 06 May 2015, 11:47

Jim, interesting article. but for me using systemd seems to be a bit too fast. is it good tested? we do not know the quality of the software. moreover it makes all other applications dependent.
as long as possible I want to stay away. hope Debian wheezy/Point 2 will be supported longer. functionally Debian 8/Point 3 are exactly the same as their predecessors.
there are alternative solutions. I have found salix mate edition. to some extend it is very similar to Point. I was also able to find all apps I was using in Point.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby GB Jim » 06 May 2015, 17:42

Yes, the article helped me understand the debate. I understand how you feel, I loved Gnome 2 and found Gnome 3 unusable. I see Linux having change for the sake of change, or maybe changing only because Windows or Apple is changing, which is pretty poor reasoning to me. For now I love Point and trust Pry, but will keep my options open too. There will be an option, Debian is being forked, and you can change the desktop if you want to pretty easily. I don't think Devuan is ready yet though. Here is some info, maybe Pry will weigh in on the issue, and where he stands on systemd vs, sysvinit.
I would hate to see you leave Point, Maroman, the forum needs someone like you.

https://devuan.org
d fork.jpg
d fork.jpg (1.93 KiB) Viewed 5400 times

Don't panic and keep forking Debian™!
OK guys, never mind the names, but what's the plan?
Have you tried to opt-out of the systemd change in Debian and stay with sysvinit, or whatever other init you prefer? You will quickly notice that is not a matter of choosing packages and in fact Debian offers no choice.
We want freedom to choose....
GB Jim

Postby Maroman » 06 May 2015, 17:57

GB Jim wrote:I would hate to see you leave Point, Maroman, the forum needs someone like you..

thanks Jim. You are too kind. and don't worry. I have 5 comps all together with up to 4 systems on each - point/xp/semplice/salix. recently I tested debian 8 mate ( :bad: ) and once more found point one of the best and complete distro.
I do not intend to leave so easily :D

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Return to Other Topics