Solid Debian-based Distro

Solid Debian-based Distro

Postby jordan » 16 May 2013, 17:13

Installer was intuitive and worked well. I believe I read that it's the LMDE installer with some modifications.

System is quite fast and responsive. I love Mate as the DE and Synaptic as the package manager. Also, the additional Point Linux repository is very handy for installing software like Dropbox, Chrome, Virtual Box and others.

After installation of Point Linux, I installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers and then improved the mediocre font rendering that affects all Debian-based distros (http://noz3001.wordpress.com/2011/07/01 ... an-wheezy/).

All in all, a job well done! Thanks Peter for Point Linux :)
jordan

Re: Solid Debian-based Distro

Postby Pry » 17 May 2013, 05:40

jordan wrote:Installer was intuitive and worked well. I believe I read that it's the LMDE installer with some modifications.

Yes, that's right, it's LMDE Live Installer with modifications.
jordan wrote:All in all, a job well done! Thanks Peter for Point Linux :)

Thank you, Jordan! :)
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Az4x4 » 07 Sep 2013, 15:42

I've had LMDE MATE edition installed for some time on two laptops. One I carry around with me, the other remains at home hooked up to a 60" plasma display where it's used to watch Netflix streaming movies, play videos and such.

The problem I had with the laptop at home is that when it would boot up, I'd have to boot with the 60" plasma display unhooked. If I tried to boot with the plasma display hooked up the boot process would hang and go nowhere. Booting to the 17" laptop screen worked fine, and once the MATE desktop was up and running I could attach the plasma display and it would work great. But that was frustrating, so I looked around to see what might be on a par with LMDE MATE edition, and found Point Linux 13.04.1...

Everything I liked about LMDE MATE edition I like equally well if not more in Point Linux! What immediately sold me was that EVERYTHING worked from first boot on! No more having to boot with the 60" plasma display unhooked!

If I'd had more insight into the boot problem with LMDE and the plasma display, I'd no doubt have been able to sort that issue out and make it work. But with Point Linux that failure to boot issue when hooked up to the plasma display didn't exist -- problem solved!!

Going on three weeks with Point Linux 13.04.1, and everything about it shows the effort and polish that Peter has put into his project! It is a superb Debian based alternative to LMDE, equal if not superior in every way. If the update / upgrade procedure for Point Linux keeps users systems current without having to reinstall from scratch, then things will be near perfect as far as this user is concerned!

Thanks Peter!
How to become a Super User: Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape ... or boot to root, your choice!
Az4x4

Postby TNFrank » 20 Sep 2013, 03:52

The Debian Repo was one thing that Robbie from Category 5 touched on in answer to my question about Point Linux vs Linux Mint 15 MATE. Since Mint is Ubuntu based(which comes from Debian) the Repo may not have as solid and tested software in it as the Debian based Repo. That's what really sold me on going with Point over Mint.
I'm not a "Bleeding Edge" kind of guy, if I were I'd go with Arch. I want something that's not buggy and will work when installed and Debian gives me that. I was happy with the move I made from Ubuntu 12.04LTS to Mint 15 MATE and I'm even happier with the move from Mint 15 MATE to Point Linux. From here on out when I buy a used Laptop on EBay to resell it'll have a fresh install of Point Linux on it since I think it'll give people the best Linux version to use.
I just really hope that you're brushing up on your English Peter so the next time Robbie has you on Category 5 you can really talk more in depth about your great Distro. ;)
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby dab » 20 Sep 2013, 20:48

yes point linux is a great distro i wonder what peter has planned for the next point linux if we realy need one as 13.04.1 is stable as a house
dab

Postby Pry » 21 Sep 2013, 21:05

Well, first of all there defenitely will be a 13.04.2 release. It'll have not much changes over 13.04.1, and it's rather a preparation for the next big release. What's planned:
- Some small changes and bugfixes in installer
- SPICE support will be added
- 13.04.X branch will be renamed to 2.X not to confuse people
- LibreOffice 4.1 probably, but I can't promise
- Up to date packages

Point Linux 3 will be based on MATE 1.6, but I doubt it will see a final release as MATE 1.6 is not stable enough while Point Linux 2.X branch is considered as 'stable' or LTS release. I'm thinking of switching to Chromium as a default browser in the new big release.

Any comments/suggestions?
Pry
Site Admin

Postby TNFrank » 22 Sep 2013, 01:55

It would be nice to have Disk Utilities right out of the box. Not that it was hard or anything to find gnome-disk-utilities and install it using sudo apt-get install but still, just not use to gparted and it's so easy to format USBs and stuff using Disk Utilities. ;)
Also, I've given Chromium a look and I can't understand it at all. Guess I'm just too use to Firefox. Of course it'd be easy enough to install Firefox if Point didn't come with it out of the box so it's not a huge deal.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby Pry » 22 Sep 2013, 03:27

Frank, the thing is that Firefox is very heavy on system resources.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby jordan » 22 Sep 2013, 04:55

Pry wrote:Well, first of all there defenitely will be a 13.04.2 release. It'll have not much changes over 13.04.1, and it's rather a preparation for the next big release. What's planned:
- Some small changes and bugfixes in installer
- SPICE support will be added
- 13.04.X branch will be renamed to 2.X not to confuse people
- LibreOffice 4.1 probably, but I can't promise
- Up to date packages

Point Linux 3 will be based on MATE 1.6, but I doubt it will see a final release as MATE 1.6 is not stable enough while Point Linux 2.X branch is considered as 'stable' or LTS release. I'm thinking of switching to Chromium as a default browser in the new big release.

Any comments/suggestions?

I think renaming 13.04.X to 2.X is a very good idea.

Chromium as the default browser is fine. I never use DuckDuckGo however because I don't care much for its search results.

Spice looks pretty cool. I like that is has clients for Linux and Windows, and they're planning on adding one for OS X.

Peter, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about PL3 and Mate 1.6.

Anyway, I'm pleased that Point Linux will be getting even better.

Thanks for your hard work Peter. It is much appreciated!

As far as suggestions, implementing the right click, open as administrator option (caja-gksu) by default would be appreciated.

Also, Debian font-rendering is sub-optimal in my opinion. There are several ways to make it on par with Ubuntu. It would be nice to see one of the "fixes" implemented by default. There's http://henrysmith.org/blog/fixing-debian-font-rendering/ and http://noz3001.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/ubuntu-font-rendering-on-debian-wheezy/ (the one that I use). And some others I'm sure.

That's all for now.

Thanks again.

Jordan
jordan

Postby Pry » 22 Sep 2013, 07:23

jordan wrote:Peter, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about PL3 and Mate 1.6.

Jordan, I wanted to say that it's quite possible that PL3 (on MATE 1.6) will never be released as final only as beta.
PL2.X branch will remain stable.
Pry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other Topics