Suggestion for default application

Suggestion for default application

Postby kevie » 13 Jul 2013, 15:10

Can I make a suggestion for a default application: the software centre (or something similar).

I love Point Linux and it is what a lot of my friends have been after since Ubuntu moved over to the Unity desktop and they never took to Mint. However for the non techy user, Synaptic is not that user friendly and can be a bit confusing. I was very happy to find the software centre in the repos and the friends and family can use it without too much confusion. As most of them have an Android phone now they are used with the 'Storefront' style of interface, they just want to install programs, not get the list of libs etc that they have no idea about. Apart from that I think Point Linux is very usable out of the box and doesn't need much tweaking for the newbie user. (personally I use the command line, but I'm not going to tell my parents, who are both retired, to attempt that).

What are other people's thoughts on this.
kevie

Re: Suggestion for default application

Postby Pry » 13 Jul 2013, 15:58

Hi, Kevie!

First of all thank you for flattring my project. Appreciated. :)

As for the Software Centre, it actually comes down to the following thing. I really did not mean to make a distro for the 'non techy users', This distro is rather for geeky users looking for a comfortable Debian desktop. I think you'll agree that being a geek doesn't mean you have time/patience to install Linux on your desktop from scratch the way we do it for servers. So that's why Point Linux was born. On the other hand, I'm very glad newbies put their eyes on Point Linux, it really means something to me.

So maybe the best way is to make a special edition for Linux newbies?

Regards,
Peter.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion for default application

Postby kevie » 15 Jul 2013, 07:22

I think that is a great idea: having a remix for newbies. What extra would that include as Point does come with a good range of software. Are all codecs etc included by default (I can't remember if I added them)? The only other thing that I added was JRE.

How about the addition of a newbies welcome to Linux and maybe q list of alternative software, that might be useful for those converting from windoze.

Kevie
Ps your welcome on the flattr, this is a worthwhile project to donate to :)
kevie

Return to Software and Applications