proprietary nvidia drivers?

proprietary nvidia drivers?

Postby fixerdave » 23 Aug 2013, 08:13

So... I'm really liking this Point Linux distro... giving me that warm and fuzzy feeling I had way back in Ubuntu 6.4, before the "Unity is the future, get used to it" crowd. Thanks for the effort in putting it all together.

But... I'd really like something better than the nouveau video driver. I ran the proprietary Nvidia drivers under Lubuntu and they work with my HW (but I kind of got unhappy with Lubuntu in general). So far, Point is sailing past all the issues I was having under Lubuntu (VMplayer, etc) except for the video driver. I figured I'd try installing Nvidia's in Point but it wants nouveau gone first. I tried working through this guy's Debian howto, but when I try to remove the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package, it includes mate-desktop* in the list of things to toss. That doesn't seem quite right :shock:

Is there an easier way to do this? Is there any way to do this?

David...

* yeah, there's an asterisk after mate-desktop on the also remove list... what does that mean?
fixerdave

Re: proprietary nvidia drivers?

Postby dek » 23 Aug 2013, 09:16

NvidiaGraphicsDrivers in Debian Wiki
dek

Postby fixerdave » 23 Aug 2013, 21:49

dek wrote:NvidiaGraphicsDrivers in Debian Wiki

Yes, I have seen that page... left my system in single-user mode at best. So, after sleeping on it... I figured the issue was that my system didn't have any alternative to the nouveau drivers... so I tossed in the repository nvidia drivers that I found by searching for xserver-xorg-video- (amazing what a few hours of sleep will do for you ;)

Anyway, that barfed the system too. But, after futzing around with rebuilding the X11 config (don't know where exactly it is because there's no xorg.conf file in the usual place) it booted back into X with what I assume was the vesa driver. So I futzed around a bit more, dumped myself back into single user mode, deleted a bunch of stuff I have no idea about (so it can't be useful, right :lol: ) and eventually got the downloaded nvidia driver install file to run. At that point, I clicked past more errors than I care to think about and said "of course" to the "don't do this unless you really know what you're doing" prompts (is there really any difference between knowing what you're doing and not caring? :roll: )

Anyway, a reboot and the system actually came up in X with the proprietary drivers. Go figure. Not a process I'd care to document or recommend, but something worked, at least for a while. As this system is destined to hold our family file share, I think I'll be re-installing (possibly a few more times) as I figure out what I did and why it worked. At least I know it can work.

David...
fixerdave

Postby Maroman » 06 Sep 2013, 12:44

at desktop - Nvidia GF6600 (I used to be not too clever). yesterday I did the above procedure (why??. worked fine. kind of experiment). installed driver and updated config due to manual. after reboot - black screen. interesting and good opportunity to re-install system once more. with standard driver some warning at start but works.
as a conclusion the proverb sparrow in the hand better than a pigeon on the roof

cheers, M
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 06 Sep 2013, 14:37

Maroman wrote:sparrow in the hand better than a pigeon on the roof

Indeed. :)
I use the out of the box nouveau drivers and everything's fine. I do not play games.

P.S. Marek, by the way, do you have an analogue to this proverb in Polish? We do here in Russia, but the sparrow became tomtit and pidgeon turned into a shadoof. :)
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 06 Sep 2013, 15:16

Peter, this is exactly Polish proverb (translated directly into English) :D . sparrows used to be very common and popular in towns and gardens, pigeon are very common, especially in city centers.

but by the way I have more hardware issues but as above, it is better to have something than nothing.

are you sure of your bird translations? for tomtit look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomtit and the second word :?: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/shadoof is not a bird.
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby TNFrank » 17 Sep 2013, 14:46

If you have a way of watching Ep. 290 of Category 5.TV Robbie touched on this very "issue" and how to resolve it. Looked like a pretty easy fix, just go into Synaptic Pkg. Manager and look for nVidia and you'll find help for installing drivers. Didn't seem very hard at all. Hope this will help out a little bit.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby Maroman » 17 Sep 2013, 15:52

maybe it's easy, maybe not. remember, synaptic is only front end for apt-get. installing is equal sudo apt-get install something. that's all. even if you install some software you should switch it on and change configuration. all procedure is given in debian's wiki. I followed it and failed. that's the story. prefer ride my bike than install nvidia drivers. desktop works fine with standard ones.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 17 Sep 2013, 17:06

I think it depends. I had no problems with my G71 [GeForce 7900 GS] chip. Prefer nouveau though as I do not play games.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby jordan » 17 Sep 2013, 18:39

I'm running the Nouveau drivers in Point and they work well.

If I were to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers I would use one of the following two methods:

a) in a terminal, enter the following and reboot:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig && sudo nvidia-xconfig

b) http://smxi.org/site/install.htm#sgfxi "The simple gfx (graphics) installer script is a fairly popular way to install nVidia/ATI fglrx drivers easily and without fuss or bother, either direct install from the installer files it downloads from the ATI/nVidia sites (commmand: sgfxi), or using your distribution's driver packages (command: sgfxi -d) "

In my experience, a) usually works but not always and b) works most of the time.

Again, Nouveau works great so I prefer to leave things as they are :)
jordan

Next

Return to Installation Support