Core to Full, how hard?

Core to Full, how hard?

Postby TNFrank » 04 Oct 2013, 11:50

Well, until I figure out why my friends DVD-RW isn't reading DVD's I have to drop back and punt and do my Distro installs from CD. I put Ubuntu 12.04LTS on it but I think he really would have Point Linux with the MATE desktop instead. I could just install MATE under Ubuntu and have kind of a Linux Mint MATE deal but I'd rather go with Point if I can. This gave me the idea of installing Core since I'm hooked into my modem via RJ-45 cable so WiFi won't be an issue like it was on my daughter's desktop(she only had a dial up modem in her system at the time) so I could probably get Point Linux Core installed then do and upgrade or something in Terminal to get the Full Distro or at least that's what I'm hoping for. So, can it be done and if so what would the Terminal Commands be to get the Full Install. Thanks.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Re: Core to Full, how hard?

Postby Pry » 04 Oct 2013, 12:09

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pointlinux-mate-desktop

I kept Core to Full upgrade in mind making the distro so it shouldn't be hard.
There's only one difficulty that will not affect you: the non English speaking users will have to install the language packs manually.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby TNFrank » 04 Oct 2013, 15:29

Glad to see it's so simple. It's nice to know that if someone only has a CD drive or in my case a non-working DVD drive that'll only read CDs that they can still get the full version of Point Linux on their system via the CD install and a couple lines in Terminal. ;)
TNFrank

Postby Pry » 04 Oct 2013, 16:29

So have you installed it?
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby TNFrank » 06 Oct 2013, 14:35

I've not done the install yet. First I wanted to play around with a Debian 7.1 NetInstall to see what just Debian looked like. I'll probably go back and install Point Linux Core after I get done playing around,LOL. ;)

Ok, a quick update. After installing Debian 7.1 NetInstall and giving the stock desktop a look it actually doesn't look too bad. Don't like that I can't left or right click on the desktop to create folders and stuff but other then that the actual desktop looks kind of cool with a dock option for most used apps and you can still put down a menu that'll show all the installed apps.
Not really sure what I want to do, run Pure Debian 7.1 or go Point Linux with the MATE desktop. I really love Point Linux and MATE but Debian 7.1 is all "new and shinny" so I might play around with it a while before moving on. :D
TNFrank

Postby TNFrank » 07 Oct 2013, 01:00

Ok, so basically Debian 7.1 is what the Core of Point Linux looks like then the MATE desktop gets added to it to make it more of a Gnome 2 environment vs the Gnome 3 of Debian 7.1. Interesting, this is why I love Linux, there's so many Distros to play around with and explore. 8-)
TNFrank

Postby TNFrank » 08 Oct 2013, 14:42

Currently installing Point Linux Core on Patrick's desktop computer. Then I'll upgrade it to Full version. Debian 7.1 with Gnome 3.4 was interesting but there were a few things that really bugged me. Iceweasel feels too much like a stripped down, low budget version of Firefox for my liking and it always opens in full screen, didn't care for that. Couldn't upgrade to Gnome 3.10 even though it IS out for testing, didn't like that either. No desktop availability, i.e. couldn't Right Click and create folders or get USB's ect to come up on the desktop, had to do everything through Home Folder which totally sucks. Couple other things that kind of got on my nerves about it as well. Point Linux with the MATE(i.e. Gnome 2 style) desktop is much more to my liking. Looks like I'll be running Point Linux for a good, long while. ;)
TNFrank

Return to Point Linux Core Edition Support