Remastering Install ISO

Remastering Install ISO

Postby rob630 » 19 Oct 2013, 13:24

I really love this distro ... having lost compiz ever since Mint 11. I was able to use it briefly in LMDE with a Fork ... Then came the Update changing everything back to g-settins in MATE.

I had also lost my Remastersys after Mint 13.

Right now I am able to make a Remastersys Backup. It doesn.t need me to login??? But it works I installed the wheezy version

I installed the poinlinux installer and did Remstersys dist ... the resulting install leaves me with no home and I am at a login pompt.

I tried to install from a remastersys backup ..Icon for installer is on the desktop, starts out ok ... but never finishes ...

How can I respin this distro to already have my settings and apps like remastersys did?
rob630

Re: Remastering Install ISO

Postby Pry » 19 Oct 2013, 15:02

Sorry it's hard to understand where exactly do you have problem from what you wrote. I've never used Remastersys so I will not help here. Maybe other forum mates will help ya.

As I said I've never used Remastersys, but why are you going to use Point Linux installer with Remastersys? You need the original Remastersys installer for that I guess.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby rob630 » 19 Oct 2013, 15:47

I use Remastersys to completely image my current running system. It creates The cdfs filesystem in a folder and creates an iso from that.
The command "remastersys backup" creates an iso, which when booted is exactly the same as your installation on the harddrive.

The command "remastersys dist" creates an iso, which when booted is like the original install,but has all the software installed.
A new default home folder iscreated with none of the installed system's home data or settings.

Remastersys will download and use the default debian installer. When I installed point linux installer, it appeared on the desktop of
The remastered backup. it worked too!, kinda' ...the first time it stalled forever on the language packs. So, I redid it with the network
disconnected, An error saying the grub loader was not installed and that was it.
I used another linux on the same system to detect it with "sudo update-grub", And it found it.
I booted to this grub and chose the new installation, It just gets started and hangs.

I remembered linux mint had a mint-constructor program. I wondered what would pe good to use in pointLinux?

Thank you for your response,
I will check back to see if the gurus have suggestions. .....No Worries :)

Just learning and having fun with Linux. I have the PointLinux installer running on a YUMI multiboot drive.
I I had to extract the iso on the root though as it will not run from a folder.
The Remastered Backups will run from a folder. I may have to try my remastered installer on the root.
rob630

Postby Pry » 19 Oct 2013, 16:00

Well, honestly speaking I did not have the Remastersys in mind making the distro. Please try making respin with Mint Constructor, it's really interesting if it will work out. Point Linux users forked (though pretty much modified) version of MintInstaller so chanсes are 50/50 I guess.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby rob630 » 19 Oct 2013, 17:47

Thanks for your suggestion, I was concerned in that mint-constructor was for mint based on ubuntu.

I will check for debian tools as well.

Thanks once again.
rob630

Postby rob630 » 20 Oct 2013, 00:25

I was able to get the Remastersys Backup to install on my Drive. :)

First, In synapric Package Manager, I installed everything that was "pointlinux", all of it.

pointlinux Mate desktop stuff , pointlinux installer, etc. If it showed under the pointlinux search,
I installed it. after rebooting I noticed no change in my system.

I ran "sudo remastersys backup cdfs"

This created the /home/remastersys/remastersys/ISOTMP/ folder that has the install, isolinux,
live and preeseed folders.

I copied just the Remastersys live and isolinux folders to the root of my multiboot drive.

I have been using YUMI.

This really makes me fell good to run like Mint 11 again. Havin compiz and q way to remaster your install.

Fabulous for Installing your distro on another machine.

That is exactly what I did, everything works compiz etc. both of my machines have cheap but different nVidia cards.
The driver was up and running, tried openarena and I was able to change brightness settings etc.
I am currently using nVidia 3.25.15 It works flawlessy for me. Nothing wrong with the original driver, I was just
curious about sgfxi.

cheers

This is my "YUMI pointlinux64.cfg" file

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

# Simple Menu Edited by Lance http://www.pendrivelinux.com for use with YUMI - (Your USB Multiboot Installer)
menu background /isolinux/pointlinux-blue.png
menu title Point Linux 64 bit
menu color border 0 #00eeeeee #00000000
menu color sel 7 #ffffffff #33eeeeee
menu color title 0 #ffeeeeee #00000000
menu color tabmsg 0 #ffeeeeee #00000000
menu color unsel 0 #ffeeeeee #00000000
menu color hotsel 0 #ff000000 #ffffffff
menu color hotkey 7 #ffffffff #ff000000
menu color timeout_msg 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color timeout 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color cmdline 0 #ffffffff #00000000
default live

label live
menu label Start Point Linux 64
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append cdrom-detect/try-usb=true noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=live config initrd=/live/initrd.img live-media-path=/live quiet splash --
label xforcevesa
menu label Start Linux Mint (compatibility mode)
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append cdrom-detect/try-usb=true noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=live config xforcevesa initrd=/live/initrd.img live-media-path=/live ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw noapic noapci nosplash irqpoll --
MENU SEPARATOR
label <-- Back to Main Menu
kernel vesamenu.c32
append /multiboot/syslinux.cfg

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
rob630

Postby Pry » 20 Oct 2013, 03:29

Very nice howto, thank you. I think we need it in the 'Tutorials and Howtos' section. I'll make it sticky. :)
Pry
Site Admin

Postby rob630 » 20 Oct 2013, 10:17

Thanks Pry

I discovered that Installing from the Remastersys backup insists on installing with my original password.
I installed with a different name and password. New USERNAME worked but I had to login with my orininal pswd.

I will try "sudo remastersys dist cdfs"

ttyl
rob630

Return to Installation Support