Configuring the title bar

Configuring the title bar

Postby rmcellig » 20 Mar 2014, 15:55

For some reason I can't figure out how to configure the title bar. For example, moving the Minimize Window, Resize Window and Close Window icons to another location on the title bar, using the scroll wheel on my mouse to roll up a window when I hover my mouse over a title bar. In Xubuntu or Crunchbang, I know how to do this but am not sure how in Point Linux.
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com
rmcellig

Re: Configuring the title bar

Postby Maroman » 20 Mar 2014, 17:47

at the moment I'm using point 3 and it's a bit different but open config editor (point 3 uses dconf editor) at menu > system tools and find settings for marco. you can set minimize, maximize etc either on left or on right. you can choose elements of title bar. but I'm not sure if it's possible to have icons for all actions (for example I'm rolling window by double-click - also can be set at system > preferences > windows). generally please read every description to options at marco section and compose own title bar as possible or needed. you can also set keybindings for some actions.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby rmcellig » 20 Mar 2014, 18:24

Thanks so much!! Really appreciate it! I will try out your suggestions and see what happens.

Is point 3 available yet?
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com
rmcellig

Postby jordan » 20 Mar 2014, 19:06

rmcellig wrote:Is point 3 available yet?

Point 3 Beta 1 is available at http://pointlinux.org/download.html?beta=true

Expect another beta release.....and welcome to Point Linux rmcellig!
jordan

Postby rmcellig » 20 Mar 2014, 20:37

Thanks for the info on Point 3. I was just wondering, is there a way to modify the Title bar without going to the configuration editor or the terminal? Maybe there is a tool or app I can download? The reason I am asking is because if I recomend this distro to newbies, it would be great if there was a gui solution to those who are adverse to using the terminal.

I certainly don't have a problem with this but as I said, I'm just thinking of newbies coming over from the Windows or Mac side.

Thanks again!!!
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com
rmcellig

Postby Maroman » 21 Mar 2014, 06:30

rmcelling, you don't need any additional tool or terminal to tweak applications and desktop. there is configuration editor for setting and changing configuration (in different versions of mate the configuration tools are also different and their structures are different too).

if you consider point 2 the most important sections of configuration editor are apps and desktop '> mate. this is a bit like registry editor for windows. but here is simpler. it's smaller and there are some hints at the bottom. moreover there is procedure to go back - look at list recent keys (ctrl+R) reference/option. some settings might be done by preferences in different places of the system. so sometimes there is no unique way to solve the problem.

about point 3. remember it's beta version (Peter is waiting for mate 1.8 to finish it). do not suggest it for newbies. I use it because of hardware problems with my notebook but prefer point 2 (but in my notebook case I'm too lazy to upgrade all needed applications from backports) for work (I use it for my desktops). Point 2 is excellent so called production or factory system (I do not want to bother with software classification and McFarlan matrix and so on). however it's not the newest it's rock stable with great functionality for home and professional usage. for me it's number one. I keep trying to test different distros but always go back to point :good:

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby rmcellig » 21 Mar 2014, 09:17

Thanks again for your comments! I did make some headway with the configuration editor. I figured out how to set the background color when I open the file manager. So, that's good. Still haven't figured out how to move the window title icons from one side to the other.

Point Linux has such a natural look and feel that I loved with older versions of Ubuntu.

What is the r/pevted release date of Point 3?
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com
rmcellig

Postby Maroman » 21 Mar 2014, 10:00

rmcellig wrote:Still haven't figured out how to move the window title icons from one side to the other.

look at my desktop
you have to edit one line (register??) button_layout. the structure of the key is as follows <window_left_side>:<window_right_side>. as the right or left side parameters you can set menu, minimize, maximize, close, spacer. once per whole key. they are separated with ','. finito.
here you can also set other options (in my case look at actions on the top).

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby rmcellig » 21 Mar 2014, 11:00

Hi Maroman!

That was really helpful! Thanks so much!!
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com
rmcellig

Return to Newbie Questions